Saddle and Sirloin Club
Texas A&M University
CLUB HISTORY
A Tradition Since 1940
Texas A&M University is built on tradition. One of the oldest and proudest traditions of the Animal Science Department is the Saddle & Sirloin Club. From 30 names listed on the original club roster, membership has increased to nearly 300 members in 2017-2018.

The club was founded by W.L. Stangl, Professor of Animal Husbandry. His goal was to provide an organized outlet for animal husbandry activities.

The club was officially named the Saddle & Sirloin Club by D.W. Williams, former Vice Chancellor of the Texas A&M College System. The club affiliated with the National Block & Bridle on May 27th, 1940.

Club membership was originally limited to junior and senior animal husbandry majors. Today, membership is open to anyone with an interest in the animal industry, regardless of major or classification.


The Saddle & Sirloin Club is housed in the Kleberg Center. This center was dedicated in 1978 in memory of Robert Justiss Kleberg, Jr., CEO of the King Ranch and creator of the Santa Gertrudis breed of cattle.


Prior to moving to the Kleberg Center, the Animal Industries building was home to the Saddle & Sirloin Club. This building was constructed in 1932 and dedicated to the "pioneer livestock men of Texas."


Currently, the club continues to promote animal agriculture by supporting departmental judging teams, hosting socials, and providing community service and education about agriculture. We hold bimonthly meetings with educational speakers to keep members informed of current events in the agricultural and livestock industries.
 

Saddle and Sirloin maintains its affiliation with the National Block and Bridle Club and continues to attend the National Convention each year.